Year R Newsletter Summer 2019
We cannot quite believe that we are at this point of the year already! Your children continue to amaze us every day and we are incredibly proud of the progress they continue to make both socially and academically.
This term our exploring and learning will be based around two different topics.
Summer 1: On the Move
Summer 2: Under the sea
We still assess and evaluate the children’s skills and knowledge to plan for their next steps and will spend time this term preparing the children for their transition into Year 1.
In phonics, the children continue to practise their sounds through our daily phonics sessions. This term, the children will continue to use the graphemes from phase two and phase three to read and write CVC, CCVC and CVCC words. They will also continue to learn to read and spell tricky words.
In our writing, we will continue to use our phonic knowledge to help us sound out and write simple words. We are now putting these words into sentences as we have learnt how to construct a sentence, with a capital letter, punctuation and finger spaces between words.
In Maths, we are going to be developing our knowledge and skills in time and shape, looking at both 2D and 3D shape and their properties. We will also be using our mathematical knowledge to support us in developing our understanding when doubling and halving.
- Reading: During the first week back after Easter holidays, all children will receive their new reading record that we shared with you at Parents Evening. Please ensure that you write in here when you have listened to your child read and that their reading books are in the book bag on your child’s reading day. Do not forget there is also a section in the new reading record for any books your child might have read at home.
- Outside learning: As we enter the summer months, the weather may get warmer. On these sunny days, please send your child in with a named summer hat/ cap. If you wish to apply your child with sun cream, please do this before they come to school, as we are not allowed to apply it during the day.
- Clothing: We are still finding many items of clothing that are not named, including hats, PE kits and shoes. Please can we ask that ALL items are named and if it is a second-hand piece of clothing that the old name is crossed out with the new name in its place?
- Library: Do not forget that our library day is on a Wednesday afternoon where the children will have an opportunity to choose a book from the school library and return it the following week. Please make sure your child’s library book is in their bag each Wednesday.
- PE: For Summer 1 PE will be on Tuesday mornings, in Summer 2 (after May half term) it will be on Thursday mornings. Occasionally we have to change PE to a different morning due to events taking place within school. If we do need to change the day we will always let you know on our weekly noticeboard found at the front of the school. In PE as part of our physical development, we will be developing our skills in gymnastics. We will continue to improve our skills in balancing and keeping a strong position when using apparatus.
- Noticeboard: Each week we create a brief overview of what is to come for the week ahead. This is found in the noticeboard at the front of the school. Take a look so you can ask your child about their learning.
Do not forget if there were anything, you would like to ask us, feel free to come in and speak to any member of the Early Years team.
The Early Years team
Laura Matier, Jo Thomas, Tina Todd & Donna Butler